Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Raw-velation!

So, something miraculous happened this morning.

I did not drink coffee.

Or, more precisely, I did not want coffee. OK, let me elaborate. I woke up feeling not all that wonderful, not tired in particular but could tell that a cup of coffee is not what my body wanted to make it feel better.

BREAKFAST, 8 AM: I scarfed (or more like slogged through) a piece of raw chocolate, a banana mushed up with cashew milk and some blueberries, two oranges, and a ginger nori carrot cracker. I felt hungry and cold when I finished but could not think of anything that I would want to put in my stomach without it feeling bloated. I felt like I got enough calories because the cashew milk was pretty dense, and my body was just going crazy from the volume of the fruits. As I sat there I realized that actually, I had a LOT of energy and need to do something to dissipate it, be that fiddling or running around.

So I went for a fabulous run where the colors seemed brighter and my music was more in my ears and ringing more true with all my emotions than ever before. Man, it seems that I was living an overcooked version of myself for my entire life until three days ago.

SNACK, 11 AM: Apple and pear.

LUNCH, 1 PM: I guess you could call it a soup. Blended zucchini, half an avocado, parsley and cilantro, slice of lemon and some lemon ginger juice, put raspberries in it, scooped it up with celery/attempted to make lettuce wraps but gave up because it is just way too messy.

Lettuce wraps are not first date food, let me tell you. Well, unless licking things off from all over your body is your idea of a first date.

Anyway, even with the avocado the meal was not very calorie dense, and I felt bloated yet starving until I ate some pumpkin seeds while walking around.

SNACK, 2 PM: Banana blended with ice at Starbucks. I got so much attention after I said I was trying the raw food diet.

DINNER, 5 PM: Sashimi with seaweed salad and miso soup - my cheat.

I got home and realized that I felt more tired than I had all day. I definitely blame that on the cooked food cheat, while at the same time refusing to believe that we are this.. evolved? to eat raw food?

SNACK, 6 PM: Apple, pear, cacao nibs.

While climbing, I felt like I had much more endurance than I should - an apparent consequence of eating raw or my imagination?

SNACK, 9 PM: Apple and cold processed greens bar.

Foods I missed today: Mexican and beer for the camaraderie, but in terms of taste, COOKED RICE. In a way, I don't see myself continuing raw after 5 days (my goal), but in another way, now that I know that it is possible to FEEL THIS WAY, I don't see how I can ever go back.

I could see myself doing 5 days a week, but maybe the other two days would just defeat the purpose of the detox. I need to look more into this.

I could, conceivably, go raw plus rice and beans (and, oh, the occasional multiple beer.) Would probably need to throw eggs and animal products in there because my body does not do so well without them, and sashimi is NOT financially sustainable.

BOTTOM LINE:  I feel weird at times, but overall amazing and psyched for day 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment